DANC Government Relations Forum – brief provided by Secretary Walter Gaskin, NCDMVA
Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 10:00am
LtGen Walter Gaskin is currently serving as the Secretary for the North Carolina Department of Military & Veterans Affairs.
Lieutenant General Gaskin has served on the North Carolina Military Affairs Commission. From 2010 until his retirement from the United States Marine Corps in 2013, LtGen Gaskin served as the Deputy Chairman of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Military Committee in Brussels, Belgium, providing strategic military counsel on operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya to NATO’s Secretary General and North Atlantic Council.
LtGen Gaskin also served as the Commanding General of the 2d Marine Division at Camp Lejeune, NC from June 2006 until July 2008. In addition to this role, he simultaneously served as the Commanding General of II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward). During this tour, LtGen Gaskin led II MEF (FWD) during its year-long deployment to Al Anbar Province, Iraq as the Commanding General of Multinational Forces-West.
Gaskin also served with 3rd Force Service Support Group (Echo and Foxtrot Logistics Support Units); 3rd Marine Division (Division Command Center) in Okinawa, Japan; and with Combined Forces Command C/J-3, Seoul, South Korea as the Head of Ground Forces Branch.
Mr. Gaskin most recently served as Chief Executive Officer of La Porte Technology Defense (LAPORTECH). LAPORTECH is an engineering Technical Development Plan supplier with the capability to design, test, retrofit, and roll-out new and existing specialty defense and commercial vehicles. Prior to this, Mr. Gaskin served as the Managing Director in Charge of Operation Management Complex of Global Bank in Irvine, CA.
A graduate of Savannah State University’s NROTC Scholarship Program with a Bachelor of Science, he earned a Summa Cum Laude Master’s Degree in Public Administration from the University of Oklahoma and completed the Senior Executive Seminar from the JFK School of Government at Harvard University. His military education includes the Amphibious Warfare School; Army Command and Staff College; Army War College; and the Combined/Joint Force Land Component Command Course.
Click To Register For The Event
The Defense Alliance of North Carolina (DANC) Goverment Relations Purpose:
- Assist the Executive Director and Senior Director in reviewing issues related to the Defense Alliance of North Carolina (DANC) and provide advice and recommendations to the DANC Executive Board and Management Council regarding same.
- Monitor State and Federal legislative agendas to identify legislation that is relevant to the DANC membership; provide recommendations, if appropriate, to the DANC Executive board and Management Council on policy positions.
- Develop strategies to educate DANC members on relevant government related issues
- Develop strategies to educate and communicate with legislators, organizations and other relevant parties regarding the Defense Alliance of North Carolina (DANC) and our position on any particular legislative issue as directed by the DANC Executive Board and Management Council
- Identify statewide and national associations with similar interests and provide recommendations and advice to the DANC Executive board and Management Council concerning opportunities to align organizations to strengthen advocacy on key issues.
DANC Government Relations Leaders:
David Hayden, DANC Government Relations Chair, Smith Anderson, Blount, Dorsett, Mitchell & Jernigan, L.L.P. https://www.smithlaw.com/professionals-David-Hayden
Joe Angell, DANC Government Relations Co-Chair, Wiley Wilson https://www.wileywilson.com/
Comments are closed.