DANC Government Relations Virtual Forum – brief provided by Lieutenant General Mark A. Brilakis, Retired USMC
Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 10:00am
Lieutenant General Mark Andrew Brilakis was born in Dayton, Ohio and was raised in Haworth, New Jersey. He graduated from Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and was commissioned through the Platoon Leaders Class in May 1981.
Assignments in the Operating Forces include:
Battery Officer, 1st Battalion, 10th Marines; Battery Commander, Battalion S-3, 5th Battalion, 10th Marines; Naval Gunfire Control Officer and Assistant Supporting Arms Coordinator, Amphibious Group Two; Future Operations and MAGTF Planner, G-3, II MEF; Executive Officer, 10th Marine Regiment; Commanding Officer 1st Battalion, 10th Marines; Commanding General, 3d Marine Expeditionary Brigade, Deputy Commanding General, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Commanding General, 3d Marine Division, and Commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Command/Commanding General, Fleet Marine Forces Atlantic.
Assignments in the Supporting Establishment include:
Company Officer and Commanding Officer, Company A, and Course Developer, MCI Company, Marine Barracks, Washington DC; Commanding Officer, Weapons Training Battalion, Training Command; and the Commanding General, Marine Corps Recruiting Command.
Headquarters and Staff assignments include:
Status of Forces Officer, Plans, Policies, and Operations Department, HQMC; Head, Program Development Branch, Programs and Resources Department, HQMC; Director, European Liaison Office, Headquarters, U.S. European Command, Deputy J-3, United States European Command, Assistant Deputy Commandant (Programs), Programs & Resources Department, HQMC, Deputy Commandant, Manpower and Reserve Affairs Department, HQMC.
Military Education: Amphibious Warfare School; Command and Staff College; School of Advanced Warfighting; and CMC Fellow, Center for Strategic and International Studies. Masters in Military Studies, Marine Corps University.
The Defense Alliance of North Carolina (DANC) Government Relations Purpose:
- Assist the Executive Director and Senior Director in reviewing issues related to the Defense Alliance of North Carolina (DANC) and provide advice and recommendations to the DANC Executive Board and Management Council regarding same.
- Monitor State and Federal legislative agendas to identify legislation that is relevant to the DANC membership; provide recommendations, if appropriate, to the DANC Executive board and Management Council on policy positions.
- Develop strategies to educate DANC members on relevant government related issues
- Develop strategies to educate and communicate with legislators, organizations and other relevant parties regarding the Defense Alliance of North Carolina (DANC) and our position on any particular legislative issue as directed by the DANC Executive Board and Management Council
- Identify statewide and national associations with similar interests and provide recommendations and advice to the DANC Executive board and Management Council concerning opportunities to align organizations to strengthen advocacy on key issues.
DANC Government Relations Leaders:
David Hayden, DANC Government Relations Chair, Smith Anderson, Blount, Dorsett, Mitchell & Jernigan, L.L.P. https://www.smithlaw.com/professionals-David-Hayden
Joe Angell, DANC Government Relations Co-Chair, Wiley Wilson https://www.wileywilson.com/