DANC Government Relations Forum – brief provided by D. Jordan Whichard IV, Chief Deputy Secretary for the North Carolina Department of Commerce
Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 10:00am
Prior to his current role, Jordan advised Governor Cooper and served as Director of Intergovernmental Affairs in the Governor’s Office for four years. In that role, Jordan led a team managing the Governor’s relationships with elected officials, local governments and stakeholders across the state as well as the federal government including Congress, the White House, and executive branch agencies. Prior to his state service, Jordan was a Health and Welfare Consultant with Hill, Chesson & Woody in Durham, NC.
Earlier in his career he served in the White House as Associate Director of Scheduling and Advance during the Obama Administration, and worked in various political settings, including on President Obama’s historic 2008 presidential campaign.
Jordan is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. A native of Greenville, NC, Jordan lives in Raleigh with his wife and two young daughters.
The Defense Alliance of North Carolina (DANC) Goverment Relations Purpose:
- Assist the Executive Director and Senior Director in reviewing issues related to the Defense Alliance of North Carolina (DANC) and provide advice and recommendations to the DANC Executive Board and Management Council regarding same.
- Monitor State and Federal legislative agendas to identify legislation that is relevant to the DANC membership; provide recommendations, if appropriate, to the DANC Executive board and Management Council on policy positions.
- Develop strategies to educate DANC members on relevant government related issues
- Develop strategies to educate and communicate with legislators, organizations and other relevant parties regarding the Defense Alliance of North Carolina (DANC) and our position on any particular legislative issue as directed by the DANC Executive Board and Management Council
- Identify statewide and national associations with similar interests and provide recommendations and advice to the DANC Executive board and Management Council concerning opportunities to align organizations to strengthen advocacy on key issues.
DANC Government Relations Leaders:
David Hayden, DANC Government Relations Chair, Smith Anderson, Blount, Dorsett, Mitchell & Jernigan, L.L.P. https://www.smithlaw.com/professionals-David-Hayden
Joe Angell, DANC Government Relations Co-Chair, Wiley Wilson https://www.wileywilson.com/